Thursday, January 7, 2010

Social Stratification















We meet in the night in the Spanish café
I look in your eyes, just don't know what to say

-Sarah Connor










Although Karl Marx did not consistently specify an exact number of social classes, he clearly stated that a person’s status in society was based on his or her relationship to the means of production and sources of income.











Hit me like a ray of sun
Burning through my darkest night
You're the only one that I want
Think I'm addicted to your light...

...light yummy yogurt...










According to Max Weber, people’s class standing depends on their marketable abilities (work experience and qualifications), their access to consumer goods and services, their control over the means of production, and their ability to invest in property and other sources of income.





























Weber states that class ranking is complicated by the status groups and political parties to which people belong. He defines a status group as an amorphous group of persons held together by virtue of a lifestyle that has come to be “expected of all those who wish to belong to the circle” and “by the level of social esteem and honor accorded to them by others”.

Kinda pathetic reading about such theories by Marx and Weber. Makes me feel sick thinking about certain people I know.

2 comments:

Travelbugholiday said...

Sound like you had 'fun' on New Year.... As for me, just went to the beach with only 4 friends !
Check me out. http://www.travelbugholiday.com

j_yenn said...

Oh well, better to spend time with people who really matter :)
Thanks for visiting. I've been to your blog many time before. But too shy to comment :P