Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The story of Dr. JY... and don't forget about JG

Back at this place where I used to work in, a peculiar moustachioed old man once taught me that it is important to let people know of your many little accomplishments (no matter how ridiculous and laughable those achievements might be). Otherwise, "people would think you've not done anything purposeful with your life and that you're just sitting down and wasting your life away". Maybe he's right, in some ways.

Such self-promotion is usually achievable through various forms of media.

media = the means of communication, as radio and television, newspapers, and magazines, that reach or influence people widely

One of the best music teachers whom I've ever had the chance to learn from was Dr. Joanne Yeoh, thanks to Aunty E. I wasn't exactly one of her best students 'cos I was crap lazy and plain erratic with my music practice; and always tired after working hours besides attending some crap evening classes and salvaging what was left of my social life, yadda, yadda.

Not only was Joanne my music teacher- she inspired me to be hardworking and determined to achieve life's many goals. Not that I have that many goals compared to her...












Dr. Joanne Yeoh


I've had a few role models in my life so far, and a few have let me down. But thus far, I think Dr. JY is still the best... for someone within my age range (saying this before some other role model beats me up).



















A few months ago, I got to know from Dr. JY that she had included my name, JG, in the acknowledgement section of her PhD research. This is the part where the self-promotion steps in.

Dr. JY's research focused on music and consumer behaviour.











JG!!




One thing about Dr. JY is that she always remembers people for all the good things they've done to her.

Dr. JY completed her PhD in record time in spite of her extremely busy schedule (she passed with a distinction). She has thus inspired me to do the same. I hope I survive (ZZZzzzzz....).














Picture stolen from here.
Sorry, this is an entry about Dr. JY, not Alan Tam, famous as he might be.


God bless you, Dr. JY.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check this out: http://www.yvonnefoong.com/

3 comments:

Jean said...

god bless you and the doctor here.


ps you're invited to comment on my post too =)

j_yenn said...

hi, SJ. nice meeting you. u've got a really cool blog. i assume u're sitting for SPM this year. well, good luck ;)

Aunt E said...

Glad u've found a role model. Aunt E will try to give the best but no promises:) GB